QUESTION: Is boxing effective in street fights?
Boxing is effective on the street for many reasons:
- Streetfights are punchfights – most streetfighting is done mostly with punching, and then wrestling next, and then to an even lesser degree, kicking.
- Boxing defends you against punches and brawlers – in boxing, you learn how to deal with typical streetbrawlers from day one. And you get comfortable dealing with punches.
- A great punch ends the fight quickly – using wrestling or judo might be nice but if you can knock the guy out, the fight ends sooner. Few guys can withstand a well-placed punch.
- You get to stay on your feet – using wrestling is awesome but if you can stay on your feet in order to run away or be able to watch your own back, that’s better.
- You can deal with more opponents – 2 on 1 situations are never going to be in your favor. But you have a better chance of dealing with 2 guys quickly if you have a knockout weapon that can take out a guy. If you’re wrestling, it still takes time to subdue an opponent and his friend can attack you from behind.